A church existed at the start of the twelfth century and the first vicar was recorded in 1170. Saint Mary's was often extended and modified. In the thirteenth century it was aisled and was extended westwards and by transepts in the following century, when work was done on the tower. By 1400 it had three chapels as well as the high altar and the rood, and eight priests served it. In the fifteenth century much work was done rebuilding and extending the chancel, making three more chantry chapels and a rood screen and modifying the nave.
The surviving churchwardens' accounts, now in the Somerset Record Office, show that local people equipped the church with elaborate painted woodwork, statues, wall paintings, vestments, bells, organs and plate, nearly all of which was destroyed at the Reformation. Saint Mary's accounts for 1447 list silver crosses, candlesticks, censers, chalices, embroidered vestments in blue, green, white and gilt, altar hangings and illuminated service books. In later medieval times more chantries were built.
The Reformation swept all this away, and Saint Mary's was altered. The rood and chantries were removed. A pulpit was built against a pillar in the middle of the church, where the preacher could be heard by all the people. By 1620 pews were built for the Corporation facing west. Box pews were later installed and during the eighteenth century various galleries were built.
In 1775 the Church became the home of the Spanish or Italian painting of the Deposition from the Cross. It was given to the Corporation by the Hon. Anne Poulet, MP for Bridgwater (1768-95).
The Victorian Rebuilding
Saint Mary's was radically rebuilt from the late 1840's as the result of the impact of the Tractarian movement on Anglican liturgy. The galleries were removed, as well as the box pews. The Corporation pews were removed to their present position. The nave was fitted out with numerous pews in gothic style. More work was done in the 1870's.
The Twentieth Century
The vestry was built in 1902 and in the early 1920's a memorial chapel was formed to the south of the chancel to the dead of the First World War. During the 1930's much simplification was done of the elaborate Victorian ornamentation at the east end of the Chancel.
In 1980 a proper ringing chamber was made and in 1992 the bottom of the tower was fitted out as a Benefice office. A nave altar was constructed in 1996. In 2006, a new meeting room and office was fitted in the choir vestry, and the choir was moved to the bottom of the tower. In 2007, a toilet for the disabled with baby-changing facilities was installed in the bottom of the tower.
As part of our vision we are actively persuinga major reordering of the church building. Please go to the re-ordering page for more details.